- Get Started
- Main Window
- Main Properties / Song Properties
- Clip Properties
- Add Clip Dialog
- Scene Manager
- Playlist Editor
- Port Manager
- Midi Devices
- Midi Binding
- First start Jackd (i.e QJackCtl) and SuperBoucle (for installation see the Download/Install Page). Check in QJackCtl if SouperBoucle Main Output is connected with the soundcard (Playback).
- To make it simple now make sure you have a bunch of Loops (wav, ogg,…) with the same length and the same bpm.
- Adjust the bpm of the songs according to the bpm of the loops.
- Drag’n’drop your loops in the clip matrix.
- “Edit” the first clip and look at the black Info Box how many beats are in the loop. Adjust the “Beat Amount” to “Beat in Size” in the Info Box or just try around with 4,8,16,32…
- Do the same for all clips. To keep it simple first put for all clips the same beat amount.
- Click on “Play” and trigger the clips with “Start/Stop” and let it groove
- If you have a Midi Controller (i.e Launchpad S) plug it and connect it via midi with SuperBoucle in both directions: SuperBoucle to Midi Controller and Midi Controller to SuperBoucle. Maybe you’ll need a2jmidid (a2jmidid -e) to bridge Alsa Midi to Jack Midi.
- Go to the Menu/Device/Add Device… Start mapping you device and put the color values. See the Midi Device Page for more information. Save your midi controller configuration file, open it in the Device Manager and activate it in the device list in the menu Device.
- Enjoy the live performance!
MENU: File (Create, Open & Save Songs, Quit SuperBoucle), Device (Manage Midi-Devices), View (Fullscreen, Show Playlist Editor, Show Port Manager).
MAIN PROPERTIES: Properties of the song.
CLIP PROPERTIES: Properties of the selected clip (“Edit”).
CLIP MATRIX: All the loops of the song in a matrix view.
Main Properties / Song Properties
TRANSPORT: Time and Beats/Samples from Jack.
TRANSPORT BUTTONS: Rewind (go to 0), Play, Pause, Record, Go To Position.
GO TO POSITION: Select the beat you want to reach while clicking the Go To Position Button.
BPM: Beat per Minutes. Set up the BPM of the Song (depending of the BPM of thes loops). Ideally use only loops with the same BPM
BEAT PER BAR: Set up how many beats are in one bar (depending of the loops as well). If you don’t know put 4.
CLIP NAME: Name of the file in the selected clip. You can rename it if you need to.
VOLUME: Volume of the selected clip.
BEAT AMOUNT: How many beats are in your clip? If you are not sure have a look to the black INFO BOX in the bottom.
CLIP OFFSET SAMPLE: Gives a sample offset to your loop (move it forward or backward in the time). This is usually used for fine tuning.
CLIP OFFSET BEAT: Same as with samples but with beats. 1.0 will offset the loop to one beat, 0.5 to half a beat etc.
MUTE GROUP: Assign Mute Groups (0 = No Mute Group). All clips in a Mute Group will be linked, so triggering one clip will mute the others in the group. Very handy if you have i.e many bass lines, put them in the same mute group (i.e 1) and just swap them easily, by triggering one of them the others will mute automatically!
OUTPUT: Use Main if you want only one stereo output. If you need dedicated outputs for mixing afterward, then select here in which port you want to route your selected clip. You can create new ports here or in the Port Manager. All Ports in SuperBoucle are stereo (L, R).
INFO BOX: Shows size in sample and size in beat of the selected clip.
REVERSE: Reverse the loop.
EXPORT LOOP: Save the loop as .wav file.
NORMALIZE: Normalize the loop.
DELETE CLIP: Remove the clip from the song.
PLAY/STOP: Trigger the clip to Start/Stop.
EDIT: Shows the Clip Properties.
CLIP IS RED: Clip is not playing. RED BLINKING: Clip is playing and is triggered to stop.
CLIP IS GREEN: Clip is playing. GREEN BLINKING: Clip is stopped and is triggered to play.
CLIP IS AMBER: Clip is recording. AMBER BLINKING: Clip is triggered to record.
Add Clip Dialog
USE FILE: Use a already imported or recorded loop.
EMPTY CLIP: Create an empty clip for recording.
– Double left click on a scene with the mouse to trigger it.
– Select a scene with the arrow keys and trigger it with enter.
You can also change the order of the scenes (select and move them with the mouse).
LOAD SCENE: Trigger the selected scene.
ADD SCENE: Give a name and create a new scene based on the actual state (playing/stopped) of each clip in the grid. Beware: it will ONLY set the playing/stopped clips, not the triggered (blinking clips)
REMOVE SCENE: Remove the scene from the Scene Manager.
SET INITIAL SCENE: This will mark the selected scene as Initial Scene (red) which is started first while loading a (new) song.
– Double left click on a song with the mouse.
– Select a song with the arrow keys and load it with enter.
You can also change the order of the songs (select and move them with the mouse).
LOAD SONG: Load the selected song into SuperBoucle.
ADD SONG: Add a song in the playlist.
REMOVE SONG: Remove the song from the playlist.
LOAD PLAYLIST: Open a new playlist.
SAVE PLAYLIST: Save the current playlist in an external playlist file (.sbp).
ADD PORT: Create a new stereo port.
REMOVE PORT: Remove the selected port.
LOAD PORTLIST: Load a port list from an external file (.sbl).
SAVE PORTLIST: Save the current port list to an external file (.sbl).
AUTOCONNECT MAIN PORTS…: Connects stereo Main Port (Inputs and Outputs) to the soundcard (Playback and Capture) while starting SuperBoucle.
EDIT: Edit the midi bindings (Midi Learn). It opens the Midi Learn Window.
DELETE: Remove the selected midi device configuration file from the list.
IMPORT: Import a midi device configuration file into the list.
EXPORT: Save the selected midi device configuration file in an external file (.sbm).
The device list and the active device is shown afterward in the Main Menu:
Midi Device Configuration Window
Look at the Midi Device Page.